According to a 2013 Media Metrix report from comScore, Vietnam has the biggest online population in Southeast Asia, in comparison to tech-savvy countries like Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines and Singapore.
From the previous year, Vietnam has added a few million monthly users, roughly totaling to 16.1 million monthly users while its total internet users span around 36 million. According to the market research of eMarketer, most of the online activities are reading the news, checking emails, browsing, working/studying and visiting entertainment sites. The most popular pastime is watching videos with Youtube as the top visited online video site. Aside from Facebook being the number one social media site, other Vietnamese users are logged into forums. Twitter, news readers (e.g., Digg, Reddit) and their local counterparts in Vietnam have yet to follow the trend.
Based on the online activities of Vietnamese users, video sites and music platforms get the best traffic. With comScore only accounting for personal computer users in its report, a look into the access of the mobile sector might change the statistics. The Internet trend has definitely converted consumers from getting information through the use of television and other media, to the World Wide Web.
- 2013 Southeast Asia Digital Future in Focus by comScore: http://goo.gl/p6QY9y
- The State of Social in Asia (March 2013) by Simon Kemp: http://goo.gl/pmNa0Z
- Mobile Propels Web Uptake in Vietnam by eMarketer: http://goo.gl/MpwkL1
- Facebook Users Reach 15 Million Mark in Vietnam! by Mark A. Ashwill : http://goo.gl/Kds9D0
- Vietnam Internet Report: A Quick Look Into Internet, Mobile, E-Commerce by Anh-Minh Do: http://goo.gl/xr5Mqs